RELAZIONARE IN INGLESE
ADVANCED ENGLISH: WRITING
Anno accademico 2022/2023
- Codice attività didattica
- Catherine Mary Merrett (Titolare del corso)
- Corso di studio
- Chimica e Tecnologie Chimiche
- 3° anno
- Primo periodo
- Altre attività
- SSD attività didattica
- NN/00 - nessun settore scientifico
- A distanza
- Tipologia esame
- Students wishing to sit this writing examination must have already been awarded 2 credits for the SET grammar test. Alternatively, they must be in possession of minimum CEFR B1 external certification recognised by the Chemistry Department.
Ability to communicate ideas in a clear way using written English discourse.
Risultati dell'apprendimento attesi
Students' written work should show the following qualities:
(i) macro skills
- Treatment of assignment adequately fulfils task expectation and topic is addressed clearly
- Introduction orients reader sufficiently to topic AND author’s thesis
- Sufficient evidence for generalisations and supporting ideas provided in relevant and credible way
- Paragraphs separate, logical units related to thesis and connected to each other by appropriate transitions
- Sentences within paragraphs form connected series using appropriate transition words and other cohesion devices (Weigle, S.C. 2002. Assessing Writing)
(ii) micro skills
- use of transition words and linkers
- clearly written; minimum number of errors of grammar practised during course; errors do not interfere with reader comprehension
- appropriate register and appropriate general and subject-specific vocabulary
Grammar and vocabulary useful for essay writing (see textbooks)
Essay organisation skills: introductions & conclusions; paragraph development;
logical sequencing of ideas making use of appropriate cohesion devices including transition words (see textbooks)
Modalità di insegnamento
The UNITO Chemistry Department timetables one English writing course during the academic year, usually from October to January.
Because of continuing issues linked to the Covid pandemic, the 2021-2022 writing course for the current academic year will be delivered using a hybrid teaching format. The English teacher will come into the department for face-to-face lessons but students will be able to follow the course in real time from home via the Webex platform.
Modalità di verifica dell'apprendimento
Minimum 250-word essay in English on topic connected to the world of science. You will not be required to have any specialist knowledge. However, you will be expected to have ideas and opinions on matters such as global warming, pollution, alternative energy production, recycling, vivisection, water management, performance-enhancing drugs, for example.
At the beginning of the examination, you will be given an essay-plan form to complete prior to writing your essay. You will then write your essay according to this plan.
Choice of titles: you will choose one title from a choice of two.
Time allowed: 1hour and 30 minutes (including time for writing your plan).
ADDITIONAL TESTING METHOD DURING COVID PROTECTION MEASURES:
Same as before:
The writing exam will still be a pen and paper exam.
For the majority of students, the exam will be administered face-to-face while respecting social distancing norms in one of the Chemistry Department classrooms. For the few students authorised under UNITO regulations, the exam will be administered at a separate time via Webex as a distance exam. In the interest of ease of administration, the exam format will be simplified in the following ways:
There will be one choice of essay title NOT two.
There will be no separate essay plan component to the exam
You will have around 60 minutes NOT 90 minutes to complete the exam task.
Because of exam security requirements, the maximum number of Webex exam students per group will be 5.
Attività di supporto
Since it is very unadvisable to undertake an English writing exam without any prior feedback on your writing skills, the teacher is available for the duration of the timetabled writing course for marking any of the practice essays contained in the writing sections of the textbooks and/or assigned during the course.
Testi consigliati e bibliografia
- See list below
Essay-writing sections and exercises from:
1.Cambridge English: Complete IELTS Bands 4-5. Authors: Brook-Hart & Jakeman
Student’s Book. ISBN 978-0-521-17956-0
2.Cambridge Academic English Intermediate. Author: Thaine
Student’s Book. ISBN 978-0-521-16519-8
3.Cambridge English: Complete IELTS Bands 6.5-7.5. Authors Brook-Hart & Jakeman
Student’s Book. ISBN 1-107-652508
4.Cambridge Academic English Upper Intermediate. Author: Hewings
Student’s Book. ISBN 978-0-521-1652
These books are available in the Chemistry Department Library
Students will be awarded 4 credits for a successful performance. The final grade for this examination is not numerical but PASS/NO PASS. The level of your Pass performance will therefore not affect the overall average of your Chemistry Degree.
N.B Students with recognised English language certification at CEFR B2 level, obtained outside UNITO, may be awarded the 4 credits and exempted from sitting the examination. However, the B2 level awarded must have included an essay writing task and final decisions regarding the eligibility for recognition of language certificates will be made by the relevant “Commissione Didattica”.
IMPORTANT: The writing exam is an elective THIRD YEAR exam. Please check that you have enough CFUs from the first and second years of your course before registering to take the writing exam. Credits cannot be awarded for this exam if you do not fulfil the UNITO Chemistry Department academic protocols.
- Apertura registrazione
- 01/03/2020 alle ore 00:00
- Chiusura registrazione
- 31/12/2022 alle ore 23:55